General Shipping and Packaging Regulations
1. Objective and responsibility
The purpose of this regulation is to ensure that goods are packaged correctly and that the environment is protected. The suppliers of EXPRESSO Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG are responsible. The delivered goods should be able to enter the storage system without avoidable additional effort by repacking.
This regulation applies to every inquiry, purchase order and blanket order and is part of the General Purchase Conditions (GPC). The regulation is to be applied to all goods of EXPRESSO Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG, unless special written agreements have been made. Consequences of non-compliance with this regulation are regulated in section 9.
2. Avoidance of packaging waste
Transport packaging must be designed in such a way as to ensure adequate protection during transport while minimizing the use of packaging. The use of reusable or recyclable materials is a prerequisite. Foils and disposable packaging are to be avoided as a matter of principle. If packaging waste cannot be avoided because otherwise the product quality cannot be guaranteed, the further procedure must be agreed with EXPRESSO Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG. Further details are regulated in the following sections.
3. Load carriers and packaging types
All packaging must be suitable for trucks and stackable. Disposable packaging is to be avoided as a matter of principle. Only the following load carriers will be accepted:
- Euro pallets
- Euro pallets with stacking frames
- Euro grid boxes
- Disposable pallets, if agreed with EXPRESSO
- INKA pallets, if coordinated with EXPRESSO
- Wooden transport boxes
- Cardboard boxes / packages
- Long goods with a length of more than 2.5 m, such as pipes, profiles, etc., may be delivered on one-way pallets
- 1.5 t per load carrier must not be exceeded
Pallets and pallet cages must be in exchangeable condition.
- Pallets with missing and damaged boards, protruding nails or protruding boards or blocks are not permitted and will not be exchanged
- Box pallets that are deformed or in poor condition, bottom frames or feet that are bent and no longer stackable, and the front flap can no longer be opened and closed, one or more boards are missing, will not be exchanged
The load carriers are to be packed in such a way that the weight is evenly distributed over the surface. The capacity of the load carriers shall be used sensibly. Care shall be taken to select an appropriate load carrier.
Load carriers must be exchanged on site. If no load carriers are available for swapping, they will be posted accordingly.
4. General packaging requirements
The packaging selected must meet the requirements of the goods to be packed. Packaging must always be selected in such a way that damage to the goods is excluded. The mode of transport must be selected in such a way that the transport route and means of transport as well as possible influencing circumstances such as weather influences and the treatment during reloading are taken into account.
The following must be observed:
- Damage-free deliveries
- Sufficient protection of the goods
- Optimal utilization of containers (reduction of logistics costs)
- Wooden packaging must comply with IPPC guidelines
- Problem-free unloading by industrial trucks
- Easy parts removal
- Type of planned route (sea, air, road transport)
- The stability of the load carriers must also withstand stacking without deformation or other damage. This also applies to cardboard boxes.
- Sample items are to be packed separately and marked with the consignee
- Parts must be free of any contamination.
- ESD protection must be ensured for electronic components
- The packaging must provide protection against damage, dust, moisture and corrosion
- Delivery must be of the correct type (corresponding labeling)
5. Load and tranport securing
Transport securing (the load must be secured in accordance with international guidelines – CMR).
6. Packaging for special parts or specific parts
Packaging for special parts or specific parts must always be agreed with EXPRESSO Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG at all times. Only after approval of the packaging is it to be used.
7. Accompanying documents
Proper freight and accompanying documents are to be handed over to the forwarder. A delivery note must be enclosed with each consignment.
The delivery note must contain the following:
- Delivery note number and date
- Order number and item number of EXPRESSO GmbH & Co. KG
- EXPRESSO item number, item description and quantity
- Shipping terms
- Partial deliveries must be noted on the delivery note
8. Delivery obligation
The supplier also has an obligation to deliver in the event of packaging bottlenecks and shortages of load carriers. If there is a shortage of load carriers, alternative packaging provided by the supplier must be used – this must be agreed with EXPRESSO Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG.
9. Consequences of non-observance
If the supplier does not comply with these shipping and packaging instructions, for example, by using inadmissible materials, EXPRESSO will adjust the packaging to protect the goods and to minimise damage by unpacking, inspecting, repacking, re-labelling, relocating, and disposing of the inadequate packaging. EXPRESSO Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG reserves the right to refuse acceptance and to charge the costs to the supplier in the event of non-compliance.
The statutory provisions of liability for material defects shall apply to damage to the goods. The supplier shall be liable for damage to legal assets other than the goods themselves caused by inadequate packaging, even in the case of simple negligence. The supplier is obliged to compensate EXPRESSO Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG for the damage incurred. The obligation to pay damages shall not apply if the supplier is not responsible for the damage. The supplier shall bear the burden of proof in this respect.
– as of 18.04.2023